Serving Clients Throughout Upstate South Carolina

Serving Clients Throughout Upstate South Carolina

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Social Security Disability and SSI
  4.  » Differences Between SSD and SSI

What Are The Differences Between SSD And SSI In South Carolina?

While Social Security Disability (SSD) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) are separate programs, they both share a common purpose, which is to help people who cannot work due to disability. Both of these programs are run by the Social Security Administration (SSA) and have many other similarities, including the claims process and the appeals process. Many of the same basic requirements are also the same.

Attorney Richard Thompson has handled many Social Security Disability and Supplemental Security Income claims for clients throughout upstate South Carolina. The process for obtaining disability benefits is complex and confusing. We can explain the requirements and the process of SSI claims and help you if your application to receive benefits was rejected.

Learn About The Programs

SSD is an insurance-based program that is funded by Social Security taxes that have been withheld from payroll checks. In order to be eligible to receive SSD benefits, a person must have worked for a minimum number of years and must have paid Social Security taxes. Generally, the more that you have worked and paid into the system of Social Security, the more compensation you will be able to receive if you are disabled.

SSI is a program that is need-based and is intended to help people who would not otherwise qualify for SSD or who would only receive SSD payments that would be very low. People who have not worked enough, who have never worked or who have become disabled before they could work can obtain SSI benefits, as well as children with disabilities, as long as their assets and income do not exceed certain limits.

Call our Anderson office at 864-202-4601 to learn more information regarding SSD and SSI benefits in South Carolina. Schedule an initial consultation and speak with one of our lawyers.